I'm interested in this one, but I can see how others may find this a turn off.
Wolf spider, family Lycosidae, but which species? Sadly my skills are not good enough to nail the species, all I can say is it had 8 eyes in three rows two at the top, four in the middle and two at the bottom. Which as far as I can tell means it is a wolf spider of some sort, at a guess Pardosa amentata female? Or P. pratigava, P. pulatta ?
I think this was female because of the lack of the bulbous pedipapls the males have at the front end?
I think this was female because of the lack of the bulbous pedipapls the males have at the front end?
This one was running around, very fast, on the surface tension of water of a very still pond, and it could clearly see me. I was extremely careful not to cast a shadow on it, and I stood stock still so as not create any vibrations, but the moment I got my phone within two feet of it, it ran away.
Sometimes you just know when an insect can see you, this one definately could.
They can build webs, but prefer like many wolf spiders to rely of their speed, their ability to jump, and excellent eyesight which they are renound for.
This one will mate and (if I'm right and it is female) and then carry the egg sac with her, until they hatch, and this wolf spider species will also then carry the spiderlings on her back until they are big enough to fend for themselves and leave her.
This one will mate and (if I'm right and it is female) and then carry the egg sac with her, until they hatch, and this wolf spider species will also then carry the spiderlings on her back until they are big enough to fend for themselves and leave her.
Nature spot (2020) Pardosa amentata. Available at: https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/pardosa-amentata (Accessed on: 20/03/2020)

No comments:
Post a Comment